- April 16, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Project
Implementation Time: 2021
Client: Hanoi Forest Protection Department
The bird fauna of Vietnam is extremely rich and diverse with a total of 916 species recorded (Richard Craik et al., 2018), and has been identified as one of the most important areas in the network of migratory and endemic bird routes with 63 globally important bird zones and 07 endemic bird zones. In which the Hanoi area is important for migratory birds in Vietnam. A total of 233 bird species have been recorded belonging to 15 orders and 51 families, including 192 migratory species (accounting for 83%), 38 settled species (accounting for 16%) and 2 species of migratory reproduction (accounting for 1%). In particular, there are 7 species listed in the IUCN Red List include Mergus squamatus – EN, Emberiza aureola – CR, Oriolus mellianus – EN, Aquila clanga – VU, Pitta nympha – VU, Rhinomyias brunneata – VU and Terpsiphone atrocaudata – NT; and 3 species listed in the Vietnam Red Book Anastomus oscitans – VU, Mergus squamatus – DD, Pitta nympha – VU.
The bird fauna of the middle and alluvial grounds in the Red River flowing through Hanoi City, so far, there has been no intensive investigation and research program to evaluate and identify the populations of rare and endangered birds as well as threats to their existence and development in the reserve. Some previous studies only investigated and preliminary statistics on species composition in the city center, but they have not had the conditions to study other areas such as Ba Vi, Son Tay, Phuc Tho, Dan Phuong, Thuong Tin, and Phu Xuyen districts. Therefore, it is very necessary and urgent to implement of the objectives and contents of the proposed project activities, as a basis for building plans for conservation and development of the bird populations biodiversity of Hanoi city, especially the rare and endangered species and species groups mentioned.
- Investigate and identify the composition of wild birds, and propose solutions for conservation and development of wild birds in the middle and alluvial grounds of the Red River flowing through Hanoi city;
- Raising awareness for officials and local people about the conservation values of endangered, precious and rare wild animals and plants in Hanoi city.
- Determination of species composition, distribution and activity of birds in the middle and alluvial grounds in the Red River;
- Assessment of the current status of habitat and risks affecting migratory and wintering birds in middle and alluvial grounds in the Red River;
- Assessment of impacts of threats to rare and endangered bird populations in the middle and alluvial grounds;
- Develop a plan to monitor populations and habitats for migratory birds in the middle and alluvial grounds in the Red River;
- Develop a plan for conservation, management and restoration of habitats for migratory birds and rare species in the middle and alluvial grounds in the Red River;
- Propagating and raising awareness for officials and local people about the conservation values of endangered, precious and rare wild animals and plants in Hanoi city.